It’s not often that we think about our dental health & oral hygiene routine, but it’s important to take care of our teeth and gums. Poor oral hygiene routine can lead to all sorts of problems, including cavities, gum disease, and even heart disease! Thankfully, there are plenty of ways to keep our mouths healthy. Brushing and flossing regularly are key, as is seeing a dentist for regular check-ups. Eating a balanced diet also helps maintain oral health; choosing crunchy fruits and vegetables over sugary snacks is a good way to start. In addition, drinking plenty of water helps flush out bacteria and debris. So, take care of your pearly whites – they’re worth it!
Here are some dental care tips to help you keep your teeth and gums healthy and to maintain an overall oral hygiene routine:
Switch to a Soft-bristled Brush
- Soft bristles are gentler on your gums. If you have sensitive gums, or if you’re prone to gum disease, then soft bristles can make a big difference. Hard bristles can sometimes aggravate the gums and cause them to bleed.
- Soft bristles are just as effective at cleaning teeth. Contrary to popular belief, soft bristles are just as good at cleaning teeth as hard bristles. In fact, a study published in the Journal of Dental Research found that soft bristles were just as effective at removing plaque and bacteria from teeth.
- Soft bristles can help you avoid gum recession. Gum recession is when the gums start to pull away from the teeth, exposing the roots. This can happen if you brush too hard with a toothbrush with hard bristles. So, if you’re concerned about gum recession, switching to a soft-bristled brush can help.
- Soft bristles are less likely to cause enamel damage. Enamel is the hard outer layer of your teeth that protects them from decay. However, it can be damaged by brushing too hard with a toothbrush. So, Switch to a Soft-bristled Brush is the best dental care tip and you can definitely include into your oral hygiene routine.
Add Mouthwash and Gum to Your Routine
Adding mouthwash and gum to your daily routine is another best dental hygiene routine and this practice can have many benefits. Mouthwash helps remove plaque and bacteria from your teeth and gums, while gum can help stimulate saliva production, which helps keep your mouth healthy. Chewing gum also helps reduce stress and anxiety, which can lead to better oral health. Therefore, adding these two products to your daily routine can help improve your overall oral health.
Snap a Video Selfie
Who would have thought that filming your toothbrushing sessions could actually help improve oral health? But it’s true! A recent study found that people who filmed themselves brushing their teeth had better oral hygiene than those who didn’t. So snapping while brushing is another significant dental care tip which you should definitely consider.
The study, which was conducted by the University of Texas at Austin, looked at a group of people who were asked to brush their teeth twice a day as part of their oral hygiene routine for two minutes each time. Half of the participants were asked to film themselves brushing, while the other half didn’t film themselves.
After two weeks, the researchers found that the group who had filmed themselves brushing had significantly less plaque and gum inflammation than the group who hadn’t filmed themselves. The researchers believe that this is because filming yourself forces you to be more mindful of your brushing technique and helps you to make sure that you’re actually reaching all of your teeth.
Eat Teeth-whitening Foods
We all want to have white, healthy teeth. But sometimes it seems like no matter how much we brush and floss, our teeth just don’t seem as white as they could be. Luckily, there are a few simple things we can do to maintain the best dental hygiene routine and keep our teeth looking their best is to eat certain “teeth-whitening” foods.
These types of foods are rich in nutrients that help to strengthen tooth enamel and promote healthy gums. They also contain abrasive properties that can help to scrub away surface stains on the teeth. And last but not least, they contain high levels of water which helps to keep the mouth hydrated and rinse away food particles that can cause staining.
So, what are some of the best teeth-whitening foods? Here are a few to add to your grocery list:
- Strawberries – The malic acid in strawberries can help to remove surface stains from teeth. Plus, they’re a great source of vitamin C which is important for maintaining healthy gum tissue.
- Apples – Like strawberries, apples also contain malic acid. They also have a high-water content which helps to rinse away food particles antacid from the teeth.
- Celery – This crunchy vegetable is great for scrubbing away surface stains on teeth. Plus, it contains fibre which helps to cleanse the gums and reduce inflammation.
- Broccoli – Broccoli is another vegetable that’s great for cleansing the gums. It also contains calcium which is important for strong teeth.
- Yogurt – Yogurt contains lactic acid which can help to remove surface stains from teeth. Plus, it’s a good source of calcium and protein which are both important for healthy teeth and gums.
Therefore, eating teeth-whitening foods are another best dental care tip.
Avoid sugary drinks
There are a few reasons why sugary drinks are bad for your oral hygiene routine. Firstly, sugar is a major contributor to tooth decay. When you consume sugary drinks, the sugar sticks to your teeth and provides fuel for the bacteria in your mouth to produce acids that can break down your tooth enamel. Over time, this can lead to cavities and other problems.
Secondly, sugary drinks can also cause gum disease. The sugars in these drinks can promote the growth of harmful bacteria in your mouth, which can attack your gums and lead to inflammation and infection. Finally, sugary drinks can also stain your teeth. The darker colors in these drinks can stick to your teeth and cause discoloration over time.
If you’re looking for a dental care clinic in Manhattan, New York, look no further than City Dental Group. Their group’s experienced team of dental professionals offers a wide range of services to help you maintain optimal oral health.
They know that good oral hygiene starts at home, so they are here to provide you with the resources and information you need to develop a healthy routine. City Dental Group also offers a variety of treatments and procedures to address any concerns you may have about your oral health.
At City Dental Group, we’re committed to providing our patients with the best possible care. Contact City Dental Group today to schedule an appointment with the best dentists in Manhattan New York. We’ll be happy to answer any questions you may have about our services. Do check out our other blogs for more dental care tips.